The Norwegian Institute of Food, Fishery and Aquaculture Research (Nofima) has just launched an iPhone app so consumers can evaluate the freshness of a batch of fish. The app was released on the European Seafood Exposition (ESE) in Brussels.
The freshness of the fish may be evaluated via a few steps, including odour, texture and the appearance of the eyes, skin and gills. The final result appears immediately.
“With the aid of competent seafood research, we have a good basis for being the leading seafood nation in the world. We can increase the export value first and foremost through innovation and development. This app is a good example of applied research,” says the Managing Director of the Norwegian Seafood Export Council (NSEC), Terje Martinussen.
“This method is the best tool available today to assess freshness. You don’t need to know how old the fish is as this method calculates the remaining shelf life of the fish,” says Project Manager Joop Luten from Nofima.
The “How fresh is your fish?” app is available in 11 languages including Norwegian.The app is free and available to anyone with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
– Selection of fish species for the assessment
– Selection number of fish to be assessed
– Guidelines for assessment
– Instructions for measurement rigor
– Shelf life fish species
– Available in 11 languages (English, Norwegian, Icelandic, Dutch, Greek, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Danish, and Italian).
– Makes full use of HD graphics on the iPhone 4 Retina display.
– Photos can be added to the end results.
– End results can be stored for future reference.