The reported further stated that here were over 616 million mobile subscriptions in Africa at the end of September. Africa is now second only to Asia-Pacific in terms of mobile subscription numbers.
- At end-2010, less than a year ago, Africa was only the fourth largest regional mobile market by subscriptions
- Africa will retain its position as the second biggest regional mobile market by subscriptions
- The number of unique users in Africa at end-2016 is forecasted to be 572.35 million.
- Nigeria will continue to be Africa’s biggest mobile market by subscriptions, with a forecasted 152.09 million subscriptions at end-2016.
- Egypt will hold onto its position as Africa’s second-biggest mobile market, with a forecasted 118.03 million subscriptions at end-2016.
- South Africa, the continent’s third largest mobile market, will have 80.56 million mobile subscriptions at end-2016.
- Africa is forecasted to have a mobile penetration rate of 86.92% at end-2016
- The mobile-market-share held by WCDMA is forecasted to rise from 6.6% at end-2011 to 46% at end-2016, almost equalling GSM’s market-share of 47.5% at end-2016.