We all move through life differently. Some prefer to do as little as possible, others live at full speed. Health, relationships, positive self-view and purpose, values and dreams are the four of the most important things in life. What are the most important things in your life? Think about that for a moment and then start reading this post of posts. Your life might never be the same…
1. You are responsible to everyone, but you’re responsible for yourself. Everyone is responsible to everyone for something, even if it’s something as basic as an affirmation of their humanity. However, it should most often go far beyond that and manifest itself in service to others, to being a voice for the voiceless.
There are those around you who toil under burdens larger than yours, who stand in need of touch and respect and chances. Conversely, though, you’re responsible for yourself. Nobody else is going to find success for you, and nobody else is going to instill happiness into you from the outside. That’s on you.
2. Everything and everyone is interesting under a microscope. Look at a fly, a leaf, a hair–they take on beautiful or horror movie aspects. Do the same with any human being, no matter how boring you thought they might be and you will eventually dig to their hidden level of fascination. All it takes is curious listening and an appetite for questioning. You will be rewarded with the surprise that everyone is weird, horrifying, lovely, talented or fascinating at some power of magnification.
3.Be aware of your actions, and form good habits. It becomes very easy to delude yourself into thinking that you’re doing the right thing, or that you actually have good habits etc. Most people will not realize how their habits are very self destructive, as Warren Buffet said “The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they’re too heavy to be broken”.
4. Be curious. The world is fascinating, ask questions and try to unravel the mysteries! It’s amazing how people get caught up with grades/credentials/promot
5. Don’t spend your life working. Enjoy this beautiful gift that is life. Spend time with your family and loved ones. Don’t let your life and your legacy be about work. I understand everyone has to ‘work to live’ but don’t ‘live to work’.
Don’t let a 9 to 5 work week turn into a 9 to 9, six or seven day work week. Always make sure your keep a positive work/life balance. “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” – Dolly Parton.
6. Happiness is a conscious choice. Put yourself in the right frame of mind and adopt the right perspective to find happiness in any situation. If you decide something’s going to suck and be lame… then it will be. Find some inspiration any way you can and make it your choice to be happy.
7. Seize the moment! Is there something or somebody you want to know? Seek and find out today! Is there a job you want? Apply for it now. Don’t waste precious time procrastinating and debating whether or not you should do something.
If it feels right, do it. Don’t be afraid to seize a moment or an opportunity in time. Grab it by the horns and go after what you want. Remember this – The trouble is, you think you have time, but you don’t.
8. Self confidence wins battles, wars, jobs etc. Self-confidence and bravery are nothing more than believing in yourself, a thing that can never be taught. If you think you can do something, don’t just try it, act like your an expert. Look people in the eye — they will look away. Be the man and you will win. If you don’t have it — PRETEND. Eventually it will be real.
9. Everyone is afraid. The successful ones are just hiding it better. Every single person you meet today is afraid of failing, or looking stupid, of making a mistake, of being seen as a phoney. It’s not just you. It they can succeed you can too. Most of the successful people who run the world are no smarter than you are, they were just in the right place at the right time or knew they right guy or were connected to the right people at the right time.
10. You can always get more money — you can never get more time. When you are young you think that there is always time to do something so you put it off. DON’T. Go broke doing whatever it is you think you want, traveling, skydiving, starting a business, learning an instrument, a trade, a hobby.
The time is going to pass anyway. When it’s gone, what will you have to show for it? It’s never too late if you start right now. Don’t wait for the future to blame the past — forget the past, no one ever got successful thinking about the failures of the past.
11. Attitude is the biggest determinant of your success or failure. It doesn’t matter how you really feel about something or someone, present a positive position. It will absolutely change your life. Nothing you ever do, say, think will be as powerful as having a positive attitude. It absolutely is magic. If I could go back in time and change just one thing about my life it would be to present a smile on my face and a can-do attitude.
12. And finally, shit happens. However careful, and well planned you may be, however perfect you may be at your job, destiny will find a way to throw a spanner into your works. Expect the best but be prepared for the worst at any stage in life, the key though is in handling the fallout.
Originally shared on Quora
Image courtesy MarisaAnn94 (Flickr)