Some work skills will never be the same by 2020. Global connectivity, smart machines, and new media are some of the most important drivers that are reshaping how we think about work, what constitutes work, and the skills we will need to be productive contributors to the world in the near future.
These are the predictions of California based quango, Institute for the Future (IFTF): Future Work Skills 2020 (PDF).
1. Sense-Making: As machine automation takes hold, the ability to make intelligent interpretations and provide true insight will be in demand.
2. Social Intelligence: To be able to connect with others in a deep and direct way, to sense and stimulate reactions and desired interactions.
3. Novel & Adaptive Thinking: The ability to problem solve, think outside the box and come up with tailored solutions.
4. Cross-Cultural Competency: In a globally connected world, the ability to operate in different cultural settings will help candidates stand out.
5. Computational Thinking: Good analytical skills will help to translate vast amounts of data into abstract concepts and will come in handy for data-based reasoning.
6. New Media Literacy: Everyday life will be a buzz with varying new media types and platforms. The ability to make connections and engage audiences across vast, differing networks will be paramount.
7. Transdisciplinarity: The need to understand multifaceted problems and relay them to the wider community to solve will mean complex problems require the facilitation of large scale collaboration.
8. Design Mindset: As future workspaces and environments become individually tailored there will be a need to represent and develop tasks and work processes for desired personable outcomes.
9. Cognitive Load Management: With a world rich in information being able to use data tools and techniques to disseminate and filter for importance will help gain true insight
10. Virtual Collaboration: The need to communicate with and lead remote teams will create a new management style, not necessarily difficult to learn, however team work may need to be re-learned here.
The infographic below from Top Ten Online Colleges shows which capabilities will be most valued by 2020.