A successful product launch is not a foregone conclusion. We can take lessons from Apple, but it is becoming increasingly obvious that a strong brand and innovative products don’t necessarily equal global success. It’s even harder for e-commerce businesses. They don’t have Apple’s marketing juggernaut to back them up. But while e-commerce launches sometimes sink like a stone, we have some handy tips to help you survive and prosper.
Research indicates that around 40% of product launches fail. That’s a sobering statistic, especially if your e-commerce business is dependent on the success of your new product. However, if you lay the right foundations, you stand a much better chance of being one of the 60% of product launches that are successful.
All product launches begin before the actual launch date. Successful e-commerce stores begin marketing their products long before they make them available to consumers. This is where a solid pre-launch strategy is essential.
Write press r
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for your product launch. Begin by writing a press release, which you will send to people on your marketing list. List the benefits of the product. Explain to the recipient how this product will change their life. If you can’t come up with a few great reasons why the person should buy this product, go back to the drawing board.
To be successful, a product must tick the right boxes for your target audience. Focus on your customer’s pain points and define how the product can solve their problems. Tell the customer how they can use the product, what it does, and create a powerful value proposition. If you get this stage right, it is time to move on to stage 2.
Create product teasers
It is time to build some buzz about your product. To do this, create a few short product teasers that make people want to learn more. Be careful not to exceed customer expectations, i.e. make it clear that you are about to launch a new product, not an entirely new line of products.
There are several ways to do this. One way is to create a short video about the production process. You could also design some graphics or visual adverts. Or why not create a fun meme or Gif to post on social media?
Another great idea is to launch similar products as a way of road-testing your main product. Come up with some complimentary products and see how your target audience reacts. This helps you to validate your main product and give it an extra boost on launch day.
Add pre-launch banners to your e-commerce store and share all content on social media channels. Encourage people to give you feedback and comment/share your pre-marketing messages. All feedback received can be used to tweak the final product launch.
PPC is a cost-effective way to get your message out there. Make use of a PPC campaign to raise awareness of your new product on launch day, but make sure you target the right keywords and that your landing pages are optimized for a spike in traffic. If you have very little experience with PPC and sell your products via Amazon, get help from an Amazon PPC management company.
Remember, a lack of preparation could easily kill your product launch stone dead. The more advanced preparation you do, the more likely it is that your product launch will be successful.
Finally, don’t rush to launch a product before you are ready. If you can’t fulfill customer expectation after a successful launch, the damage to your brand could be devastating.