It’s an exciting year for startups. Innovation is accelerating at a faster pace than ever before. Technology is ever-evolving. Artificial intelligence (AI) is the convenient future. It is one of the most promising and transformative opportunities of our time.
The UK startup ecosystem may not be as vibrant as the startup scene in the US but the UK, and specifically London, has long been the epicentre of startup activity and VC funding in Europe. London leads digital growth across Europe, with 45 unicorns based in the city, including 18 fintech firms. More than a third of Europe’s fastest-growing tech firms are based in the UK.
These startups are redefining what can be achieved online. They were selected based on a combination of factors including the impact they’ve made from launch to date, traction, consumer adoption and financial backing.
1. Revolut – prepaid debit card, currency exchange and peer-to-peer digital bank
2. Igloo is an energy company with a simple mission: make their customers’ homes run efficiently while saving the planet.
3. Curve – All your cards in one. Simplify your financial life and connect all your accounts to one card and one even smarter app.
4. Starling Bank – a UK mobile-only bank offering personal, joint and business accounts.
5. Babylon Health – health consultation app.
6. Perkbox – a platform designed to enrich the employee experience – both inside and outside of work.
7. Trouva – online marketplace for the best independent bricks-and-mortar shops.
8. Gousto provides packages of ingredients to cook predefined meals at home.
9. Iwoca provides financial services dedicated to small business. Its digital platform offers a number of financial tools to help SME with their growth.
10. Soldo allows companies to take charge of their budgets through the use of prepaid cards.
11. Olio connects neighbours to share food, and other things, rather than chuck them away.
12. Elder – A tech-enabled healthcare business, Elder helps older people live in the comfort of their own homes for longer.
13. 11: FS is a team of banking & fintech experts who deliver consulting research & advice.
14. Echo – Convenient and completely free, Echo delivers NHS prescriptions straight to your door, making getting the right medication simpler.
15. Tide – The nimble small business current account.
16. Bulb – Provides 100% renewable electricity and gas to homes across the UK.
17. Nested – Online real estate agent.
18. Habito – a free online mortgage broker.
19. Duffel aims to transform online travel booking.
20. Graze offers over 200 snack combinations through snack subscription boxes.
21. Darktrace is an artificial intelligence company for cybersecurity.