The road to recovery is personal and takes a lot of courage. But once you start, you are on your way to a new beginning and new opportunities. Addiction is usually a heavy burden to you, your family, and your friends. A simple start, such as a taste or a sip of alcohol, can drive you to the depth that you cannot get out of on your own. When the body becomes accustomed to drugs or alcohol, the repeated influx of chemicals causes the brain to adapt, and you become addicted.
The best decision you can take is to go for a detox program at a wellness center. It may take few months before you go back home and be more productive again with professional help. The first stages of drug addiction are usually the hardest since you constantly deny that you have a problem even when friends and family point it out. Several signs of addictionare visible through your behavior, especially when your friends and family tell you about them. Some of these signs include:
- You get angry frequently and easily
- You are getting into debts to buy alcohol
- You develop tolerance towards the drugs, that you need larger doses for the drug to take effect
- You become detached from friends are and family
- Slurry speech
- Depression, seizure, and fever
- You become sick when the drug wears off
Detoxification is an essential part of recovery because of the addictive substances in your body; thus, you need to enroll and fully commit to a detox program. After you have completed the detox program, you can start learning without the drugs. When you stay a few hours before taking the drugs, you may show symptoms of withdrawal syndromes such as depression, anxiety, shaking, irritability and stomach cramps. Withdrawals can be painful sometimes, and thus you need to consider starting treatment promptly. At a wellness center, you can decide to go for an inpatient or our patient services.
Importance of inpatient services
- You will be enrolled and receive supervised services at the center
- There will be close monitoring in a highly structured environment
- After detox, the staffs help the clients transform to a rehabilitation program
- Although more costly, inpatients treatment can be covered by insurance
Importance of outpatient services
- You will be vising the facility on a schedule for treatment
- There are fewer restrictions, and there is less restriction on access to drugs
- There is personal support from family and friends since you will be going home
What to expect at a wellness center
Orientation and assessment
At orientation, the staff determines your condition’s severity while the therapist designs a program for detox and recovery. The doctor also examines you to choose the extent of damage the addiction has done to your body.
Physical detoxification and monitoring
The detox begins immediately after you are done with the assessment. Medications such as Lexapro may be prescribed for those with severe withdrawal symptoms to antagonize some drugs’ effects. It caters to the same need as the drugs, except that it has no adverse side effects. The first few days are critical, and you need to be in total isolation away from friends and family. This is because you need to focus on recovery entirely.
Therapy can be group or individual therapy. It is generally done as a means to occupy the mind and body. Therapy is essential, especially in long-term treatment. Sometimes people opt for a detox kit. However, the kits are not very safe.
Disadvantages of a detox kit
- Higher risk of relapse since there is no monitoring
- Even though most are made of organic substances, certain ingredients may be harmful to your health
- It may fail to work. Sometimes the drugs are designed to cause dilution of the urine, thus fooling you that the substances are gone from your body.
Click here to find out more.