Victims of the earthquake in Japan have begun to receive aid, donations and help in all forms. You can support the victims of the recent tsunami victims in Japan through the following mobile donation campaigns.
Most of the campaigns listed below have been organized by the mGive Foundation, a Denver-based charity that manages mobile donation programs. MGive says it vets and certifies the organizations it works with.
- To donate to American Red Cross Relief, text REDCROSS to 90999
- To donate to Convoy of Hope, a faith-based organization that does community outreach and disaster response, text TSUNAMI to 50555
- To donate to GlobalGiving, which focuses on “grassroots projects in the developing world,” text JAPAN to 5055
- To donate to Save the Children, an independent organization dedicated to helping children in need, text JAPAN to 20222
- To donate to The Salvation Army, text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888
- To donate to World Relief Corp., the humanitarian arm of the National Association of Evangelicals, text WAVE to 50555
Text-based donations raised tens of millions of dollars for Haiti in 2010.
Donations may incur text-messaging fees or other data charges, depending on carrier. Sprint Nextel is waiving text-messaging fees for customers who send donations to the Red Cross, Convoy of Hope, the Salvation Army and World Relief (but not Global Giving).