If you are yet to pass your driving test, and like the idea of making some extra cash by driving, you want to get your license as soon as possible, so you are able to do so. Make sure you practice as much as possible, then take a look at websites such as Driving Office, so that you can book a practice test, then your full test, as soon as you feel ready.
Once you have successfully obtained your license, you may want to think about joining the ever-growing band of people who are becoming drivers for Uber or Lyft, or both. Of course, you cannot do this immediately because Uber requires you to have at least three years driving experience and Lyft requires you to have held a full license for at least twelve months. But, this type of supplementary job is definitely a possibility once you have gained more experience behind the wheel.
Let’s take a look at the Uber and Lyft driver experience. What should you think about if you are thinking of going down this road, and how much can you actually expect to earn?
What to consider before you start driving for Uber or Lyft
We have already mentioned a couple of the requirements you need to be aware of if you want to drive for Uber or Lyft; there are several others. In addition, there are other things you need to think about:
1. Are you a people person? If the answer to this question is no, you may be onto a loser right from the start. As a driver for Uber or Lyft, you will get a satisfaction rating, based on feedback from customers. If you do not interact well with people this rating may suffer. This can seriously affect your ability to get work, as many users ask for drivers with the best ratings.
2. Are you prepared to drive at peak times? These times are generally early in the morning or late at night, and we mean very early and very late. At these times the car ride providers charge extra on their rates, so you have the potential to earn more money.
3. Do you like to keep your vehicle clean and tidy? Most people wash and vacuum their car from time to time, at least, but how do you feel about weekly detailing? If you want to be successful driving for Lyft or Uber you need to invest effort and cash into making sure your car is always clean and tidy.
4. Do you know the area well? The more knowledge you have about the area where you are driving, the more earning potential you have. For instance, are there any events taking place which would increase potential passenger numbers?
As you can see, driving for Uber or Lyft is not an easy money earning option. It can certainly provide you with some extra income, but you need to put the effort in.
What can you earn driving for Lyft or Uber?
It’s important to note that this work should only ever be regarded as a supplementary income. You will not earn enough to regard it as the main wage. Depending on where you live in the country, you could end up with as little as $9 in your pocket, after tax and expenses. Do not forget that although you may be earning more, you have things that you need to pay out.
- Money to Uber or Lyft. They take between 20% and 25%.
- Extra gasoline.
- Additional vehicle maintenance and wear and tear.
All of these costs add up, so you are not going to earn a fortune.
Once you have been driving for a while, signing up with Lyft or Uber can be a good way of earning some extra dollars. It’s not an easy option though, and it should not be regarded as the main occupation.