Employees can be an asset or a liability to a company, especially for startups. Therefore, it is essential to have a staff that will help your business bloom. Recruiting is a crucial part of establishing a trustworthy and competent team. There are many ways to hire people that fit your company, but only a few are effective.
Here are some of the best practices on how to recruit people who will become your partners in growing your company:
1. Ingenious Job Posting
The first step to acquiring talented and skilled applicants is to entice them through your job postings. Make an effort to post a job that stands in the crowd; avoid generic and common job descriptions.
It must answer the question, “What’s in it for me?”. Other details in the proposition must include the following:
- Tangible rewards such as bonuses, pay, commissions, benefits, and other compensations applicants can get
- Career opportunity that will enhance their skills towards growth and development
- Job description in a detailed content so that it will help applicants envision themselves in the daily workplace
- Company brand which encourages applicants to work for you
- Team atmosphere that shows healthy competition in the workplace
Aside from the traditional posting of job advertisements such as newspapers, tv, and radios, use social media and other job portal sites available on the internet. It may help you attract more tech-savvy applicants since they are most likely to spend time online.
Also, the job descriptions you post should be in sync with your employment contract by following the contract templates of your company.
2. Right Person for the Right Job
No matter how good or talented an applicant is, do not immediately hire him for the sake of having the best employee. What matters is having the right person for the position that your company needs.
When you hire the right person, it can save your company from resources, time, and finances. Accordingly, 46% of newly appointed employees fail during their first 18 months. So it is critical that you hire and put the right people in the right job especially when you are just starting up.
If you want a winning team, don’t be hasty in choosing the right ones. Look at the following when hiring:
- Right skills should not be based merely on their resume. Test their skills by giving them tasks related to the position they are applying.
- Dedication and commitment play a significant role in setting up a business. You can check their commitment level by their previous employment records.
- Numerous short-term employment may signal noncommittal to their career.
- Experience and talent must come in balance. Look for the previous experience of the applicants related to their positions to know if they will contribute to the success of your firm.
3. Contemporary Interview Process
Make your applicants at ease when conducting interviews. The old, strict and procedural approach is out, it will only make your applicants nervous. Sometimes extreme nervousness drives people to mental block inhibiting them to speak out their true nature.
You can also conduct interviews through phone calls aside from the on-site interviews. The quality of a phone interview is different from the on-site interview especially if the job requires phone calls to clients.
Multiple rounds of the interview will also help screen out applicants with inaccurate information. The multiple rounds should consist of different interviewers with different approaches to assess honesty, consistency, flexibility, and sociability of applicants.
4. Clear Employment Contract Discussion
The importance of discussing the contract among potential employees is to avoid disputes in the future. Disclosing the responsibilities, expectations, and limitations of an employee before signing the deal is an assurance that they know what your company wants.
Moreover, the contract serves as a guideline for both parties in case there are questions or claims in the future.
5. Post-hire Assessment
You should include this phase to evaluate if they are fit to stay in your company. Your hiring process must not end after they have signed their contract. You should inform them that you will assess their capability for at least a week or a month.
The assessment phase should include how they are employing their knowledge and skills in the workplace. Evaluate them with regards to how accurate they are to fulfill their claims during the recruitment stage.
To make your company grow in the process, employ people who will help you fulfill your company’s goals and objectives. It is important to start with a few selected people than to hire a lot of liabilities. In the end, it is your staff that will lead you to success.