One of the biggest worries that business owners have is theft or fraud especially when you’re running a business using computers that are connected to the internet. Unfortunately, it’s now easier than ever to gain access to a computer undetected, and you’re never 100% safe from a threat or attack. However, there are steps that you can take to ensure that your business is as safe as possible from theft and fraud. Follow these tips to help reduce this risk.
Not all thefts happen online, and if you’re selling products that are worth a significant amount of money it’s important to ensure that you’ve got on-site security. Things like:
- Alarms to alert you and your staff if a product is being stolen. You can also buy security locks for very expensive items.
- Cameras dotted around the premises so that if something does go missing, you’ll be able to catch the culprit. Not only that, many security systems will now alert you using an app on your phone if they notice anything suspicious.
- Security guards will also help eliminate the risk of theft and also provide extra protection for you and your staff members.
Teach your staff how to safely use their system
We live in a world where pretty much everything is computerised, and while many of us have taken to this with glee, there are still many people who don’t know how to properly use a computer and browse the internet. Here are some tips on how to teach your staff how to safely use their systems:
- Always log out of programs – especially those linked to your business!
- Never share passwords or private information, and especially when using an online chat system.
- Don’t allow access to your PC when something unusual pops up.
- Always use websites with the padlock on the web address bar – it shows the site is safe!
You could also help prevent the chances of attack by blocking out access to any websites apart from those your staff should be using, and also making sure you’ve got a secure VPN for you and your staff to use.
Know when there are scams to look out for
Finally, a great way of avoiding an attack is by keeping an eye out for scams that could be headed your way. There are many scams that business owners should be aware of, so make sure you’re in the know so that you can prevent an attack on your business!