Part of losing weight and getting into shape is not only changing the way that you eat, but it is also a complete change in the way you live your life. Break old, unhealthy patterns and replace them with ones that are good for you and your body.
I like to move It, move it
If you find yourself with a lot of hobbies that include the couch, it’s time to break the cycle. Put down the controller and the e juice and replace those hobbies with ones that are more heart-healthy.
- Instead of plopping down and playing Grand Theft Auto after dinner until bedtime, spend those hours going for a walk. If you have a dog, all the better! Take a long, zigzagging route through your neighborhood.
- Lunch breaks at work are another prime opportunity to get moving. Spend half of your break on a walk or jog, the other half eating your lunch.
- If you have trails or hiking routes nearby, take advantage of them! Challenge yourself to try and make it to the end of the trail and back by a certain amount of time.
- Download a pedometer app on your phone and try to beat yesterday’s number every day.
Lighten up mealtime
Everybody dreads having to diet, but it is less about limiting yourself than it is about making healthier choices. Look at your favorite recipes and think of ways that you can make them less fattening.
- Switch to ground turkey instead of ground beef. There is a minor debate about which is healthier, but checking the fat content is the most important part when choosing meat.
- Greek yogurt is full of protein and can make an excellent substitute for sour cream. You can use it in everything from tacos to dips!
- Instead of smearing mayonnaise on your sandwiches, have you thought about trying hummus instead? It’s flavorful and protein-rich, plus it is vegan-friendly.
Get your family involved
It’s easier to settle into a new lifestyle if you’ve got support from your loved ones. Let everyone know that you’re in this together, so you’re all going to make changes.
- Have competitions to see who can take the most steps during the day.
- Ask your kids and partner for feedback on what they’re eating — how can you make it more family-friendly but still healthy?
Deciding to lose weight and live your best life is a big decision. Change your habits and start watching your waistline shrink.