The “Restore failed” error in QuickBooks occurs while restoring a backup copy of the QuickBooks company file. This usually happens if the backup is incompatible or the company file is corrupted. Here are some error messages related to this error:
- “Error: Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File.”
- “Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file.”
- “This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different name.”
Below, we will discuss some effective ways to fix the “Restore failed” error in QuickBooks. But before moving on, let’s take a look at the possible reasons behind this error.
Reasons for QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
Here are some common causes of the QuickBooks Restore failed error:
- The company file is corrupted/damaged.
- You might be using an incompatible backup file.
- The Backup file you are trying to restore is not correct.
- The company file name contains special characters.
How to Fix the “Restore Failed” Error in QuickBooks?
The ‘Restore failed’ error in QuickBooks can occur if your company file name contains special characters (like /, \, <, >, !, $). You can check if there are any such characters in the company file name and then rename the file. Also, check whether your backup file is compatible with your QuickBooks version. If you are still facing the same error, then follow the given solutions to resolve the error:
1. Check the Backup File Size
The backup restore failed error in QuickBooks can occur if your backup file is less than 6 MB. You can check the file size by following these steps:
- Go to the location where your backup file is stored.
- Right-clicking on the file and then click Properties.
2. Copy the Backup File to Local System
The QuickBooks backup restore failed error can appear while restoring the backup directly from the external media or on a network. Ensure you have a stable internet connection to prevent any abrupt termination of the backup operation. It is recommended to copy the backup file to your local system (if it is on an external media) to avoid any glitches.
3. Try Copying the Backup File to a New Folder
You may fail to restore the backup copy in QuickBooks if the folder where it is saved has some issues. You can copy and paste the file into a new folder.
4. Repair the Company File
The QuickBooks Restore failed error can occur due to corrupted company file. In such a case, you can rebuild the file data using the QuickBooks Verify and Rebuild Data tool. This tool can help fix minor company file data issues.
The Rebuild Data tool can sometimes freeze or fail to repair the corrupt QuickBooks company file. In such a case, you can use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. This tool is available in the QuickBooks Tool hub. Here are the steps to use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool:
- On the tool hub, click Company File Issues.
- Click the Run QuickBooks File Doctor option. It may take a few seconds for the tool to run.
- Next, choose your desired company file from the dropdown menu. If you cannot see the file, click Browse to find your company file.
- Click the Check your file option and then click Continue.
- When prompted, type the QuickBooks admin password and click Next.
- The scan time may vary depending on the size of your company file.
- Once the scan is complete, open QuickBooks and try to restore the backup file to check whether the error is fixed or not.
What if QuickBooks File Doctor Fails to Fix the Issue?
The QuickBooks File Doctor tool can only fix minor corruption issues in QBW files. It can show an exception or fail to give the desired results when the QBW file is severely corrupted. In such cases, you can use a professional QuickBooks repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for QuickBooks. It can repair corrupt QuickBooks company file and recover all the components. It has a simple UI that makes the repairing process smooth and quick. You can use the demo version of Stellar Repair for QuickBooks to scan and preview the affected company file.
This article discussed different ways to fix the “backup restore failed” error in QuickBooks. You can check the backup file compatibility, company file name, etc. If the error has occurred due to corruption in company file, then you can try the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. If this tool is unable to fix the corrupted company file, then you can try Stellar Repair for QuickBooks. It is a reliable tool that can repair QuickBooks company files and recover all the data from the damaged file. The tool supports QBW files of multiple QuickBooks editions, including QuickBooks Australia, UK, Canada, and Germany.